Governor Wike and his “Interest of Rivers people
Governor Wike and his “Interest of Rivers people “
Beginning from the day Governor Wike lost out in the power play in the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), he has been engaging in what can best be described as anti party activities, using every project commissioning ceremony and the media space to throw tantrum at his perceived enemies in the People’s Democratic Party : an act he would never tolerate from any member of the party in Rivers State.
His utterances clearly shows that he is against Alhaji Atiku becoming the next president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The reasons for all his actions and utterances, according to him, is for the ” Interest of Rivers people ” the question then follows : what is the interest of Rivers people that Governor Wike claims to project and protect? Who defines or determines what constitutes the Rivers people’s interest? Is it Governor Wike or Rivers people?
In the almost 8 years of Wike as governor of Rivers State, has his policies and projects execution been driven by the interest of Rivers people? Is the construction of flowers 1 to 12 driven by Rivers State’s people interest? Is that mansion built at Ada George road premised or based on the interest of Rivers people? Are the properties and investments spread all over the state by the “unknown investor ” in the interest of Rivers people? The revocation of the C of O of DAAR communication, is it being done in the interest of Rivers people?
Rivers people know what their interests are : Rivers people’s interest includes but not limited to :
1. Free basic Education ( Primary and secondary), well constructed classrooms furnished with modern desks, chalk board and other teaching aids.
2. Secure teaching and learning environment devoid of cultist harassment during school hours.
3.Regular promotion of teachers and other non teaching staff, motivating them.
4. Payment of retirement and death benefits to all those who used greater part of their lives to serve the State.
5. Taking responsibility to free the streets of portharcourt and other local governments headquarters of the lawless criminal task forces and revenue collectors making life and businesses difficult to thrive.
6. Employ Rivers youths in the state ministries and other government agencies. Revive those Rivers State owned dead companies to employ Rivers youths.
7. Connect all communities in the state with well constructed roads that would not need to be maintained every six months after construction.
8. Provide drinkable water for Rivers people and save them sicknesses caused by consuming poorly packaged sachet waters.
9. Treat Rivers people with dignity. Open the Rumuwoji market and let the original stall owners go back to their shops.
Rivers people should not be deceived. Governor Wike is fighting to still be politically relevant after may 29,2023, It is his personal interest fight, not for Rivers People’s interest.