The federal government has extended application for N-Power jobs in the Batch C programme.
Sadiya Umar Farouq, minister of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development, made the announcement in a series of tweets, on Sunday.
This development is coming after more than five million applications were made for the job meant for 400,000 persons.
TheCable had reported that more than one million Nigerians applied for the N-Power Batch C programme in less than 48 hours between June 26 and June 28, 2020.
The application portal was earlier scheduled to close on July 26, but Farouq said an extension will be made to allow for more inclusiveness in the application process.
“One month after the portal opened for Batch C applications, we are happy to announce that we have received over 5m applications underlining enthusiasm for the programme,” she tweeted.
“In a bid to extend the opportunity to all Nigerians and ensure it is truly inclusive. The portal will close at midnight on August 8th, 2020.”
The N-Power programme has so far enrolled 500,000 beneficiaries; they include 200,000 from Batch A that commenced in September 2016, and 300,000 from Batch B which started in August 2018.
The minister also reacted to a protest by members of batches A and B at the national assembly last week.
The enrollees protested unpaid stipends and also demanded N6000,000 each in form of grants to establish themselves.
But Farouq said the exit of both batches is meant to provide the same opportunity for other Nigerians.
“I received news of a protest at the National Assembly by N-Power Batch A and B beneficiaries who presented a list of demands which we are reviewing and will address as practically possible,” she tweeted.
“Let me reiterate that the exiting of Batch A and B is not punitive but as a means of providing an opportunity for their brothers and sisters to also access the programme. Batch A and B beneficiaries remain our pride and worthy ambassadors.”